Tuesday, January 22, 2013

To My Sweet Child: Our Adoption Journey, vol. 1

Today I filled out a very preliminary application to adoption. I'm not entirely sure how this road will look or what all is in store as I begin in this journey, but I know that I'm excited. I'm starting a journal to give to my child who is waiting for me somewhere halfway around the world. It's private, and I won't share it all here, but I do want to document this journey, so I've decided to share the first entry. Here we go.

To my sweet child,

Today, I took the first steps to bringing you home to your forever family. It was kind of surreal that I was actually doing it, but I'm not scared at all. I'm so excited to bring you home. To love on you. To keep you safe. To hold you in my arms so you know that you are loved. To be your mama.

I'm not sure where you are right now. Maybe you're not even born. What I do know is that my love for you is already as big as the world, to infinity and back. I know that every night I'll say to you what I say to your big sister Kassidy and big brother Kayden, "I'll love you forever, I'll like you for always, as long as I'm living my baby you'll be." It's a book you'll become familiar with once you come home.

I wonder what you'll like to eat, if you will be athletic or like to read. Maybe you'll have your mama's sweet tooth or maybe you'll love vegetables. Maybe you'll be tall, maybe you'll be short. Maybe you'll be shy, or perhaps you'll be the life of the party wherever you go. Whoever you are, know this. I will always love you, no matter what. No love is greater than that of a mother to her child. You may not come from my tummy, but I love you just the same.

I could go on and on but I just want you to know. Every child deserves a home, and your home is right here with me, Kassidy and Kayden. I promise to love you. I promise to be your forever family. I promise to show you God's love. I promise to be your mommy.

I can't wait for you to come home.

Love you to the moon and back,

Mama

2 comments: