Sunday, November 4, 2012

What If I Told You I Were Gay?

We all have our good attributes, and we all have our not so great ones. For the purposes of this blog, I'm going to highlight my better ones according to others; not to sound arrogant, but to make a point. Hopefully you'll see that for what it is and not think I'm trying to blow my own horn. If you think that, then you're not getting it.

Here's a few ways I've been told (again these are not my own, but taken from others) that I'm a good person. I'd like to think at least a few are true, but who knows. Maybe my friends just like to give me the warm fuzzies.

  • You have a huge heart
  • You're a great mom
  • You're so giving  
  • Such a hard worker! Single mom, school, work, how did you do it?
  • Always thinking of others
SO, to keep it short and sweet, my point is, what if I told you I were gay? Would that negate all of those "positive" things I said? I am sick to death of hearing how people who are gay are terrible people. They're not. They still put their pants on the same way every day. They laugh, cry, fart, brush their teeth, and go to work. They don't live a "lifestyle", they just live their life. People. Normal people.

I have friends who are gay. I love them just like my friends that aren't gay. In fact, I have a deep respect for them for not being afraid to be who they are. That's them, and I love them for it. I love them for being themselves. I know far too many people who are fake and could use a little reality.

So I encourage you to not judge them. I don't, because I feel like it isn't my place. I mean, people are going to do what they're going to do, and I'd be a fool to think a silly blog post would change that, but if you just gave it a thought for one second; those good attributes I've been told I have that I listed up there - would those disappear if I told you I were gay? Think about it. I'd still be the exact same Erin, but something tells me many of you would not feel the same about me, that is, if I told you I were gay.

No comments:

Post a Comment