Tuesday, November 16, 2010

If I Die Young...

The Band Perry - "If I Die Young"
So, maybe you've seen this video or heard this song. If not, I hope you'll take a listen. I think the title to the song says it all. While being a delightful song to sing along with, it really started turning the wheels in my head. I began to think about what would happen if I would die now (which to me is still young). The thought, although simple reality may really scare some people. To me, it just seems like a part of life.

I grew up in a Christian home, so I believe that God has a plan for everything. I believe that there's a time and season for all things good and bad. I believe that difficult times will often mold a person into something greater that prepares them for situations down the road. I believe that it is completely unfair for bad things to happen to good people, but it's also a fact of life. Lastly, I believe that at 27, I have lived a really full life. By no means does this mean I have accomplished or experienced everything in my life that I'd like to, because I haven't. I have a to do list a mile long and am too busy to slow down to think about dying. But, I'm also at peace with what I've done.

I've lived, laughed, and loved. I have experienced the greatest love possible; the unconditional love when holding your child in your arms. I've been able to travel and see some beautiful sights. I have seen the light in a sick child's eyes when you tell them their "wish" is coming true. I've felt emotion, be it anger, happiness, anguish, sadness, elation, excitement, or nervousness. Every night I have a full stomach and warm bed. I have clothes to wear and shoes to put on my feet. I've seen people achieve things they never thought possible. I have two parents who love me. I have some of the best friends a girl could desire. I have my health. I have two children who think I'm the best mom in the world.

This all sounds merry and rosy. My life hasn't just been one great big happy bubble, it's been laced with difficulty and moments of despair, but whose life hasn't? Some are harder than others. I do feel like a lucky one, but I'm confident that it's been those difficult moments that have made me who I am today. Sounds cliche, but it really is true. I am not even close to the same person I was 5 years ago. I've even changed a lot in the last year, and I imagine that while the world changes around me, I will continue to change, even if it is in small measure. As long as you stay true to yourself and you can look at yourself in the mirror every day and still believe in yourself, change is okay.

Life isn't always going to be easy. I just hope that I can always live a fulfilled life, each and every day. There's a lot of things I want to do, a lot of places I want to see, and a lot of people I hope I can meet, but at the end of the day, I feel like I'm doing my best to do that every day. I honestly try to live with little regret and to always be positive. While I hope I live to be a very old and wrinkly woman, I would hope that if I die young, people would be able to still say, "She lived a great life..." because I feel so blessed. I love the words below...

"People are often unreasonable, illogical, and self-centered; Forgive them anyway.
If you are kind, people may accuse you of selfish, ulterior motives; Be kind anyway.
If you are successful, you will win some false friends and some true enemies; Succeed anyway.
If you are honest and frank, people may cheat you; Be honest and frank anyway.
What you spend years building, someone could destroy overnight; Build anyway.
If you find serenity and happiness, they may be jealous; Be happy anyway.
The good you do today, people will often forget tomorrow; Do good anyway.
Give the world the best you have and it may just never be enough; Give the world the best you have anyway."

No comments:

Post a Comment