Saturday, October 9, 2010

Save the Ta-Ta's

Today, I participated in the Susan G. Komen 5K in Brentwood. Did I expect a lot of people? Yes. Did I really have a true idea of how many people there would be there? No. It was overwhelming, the amount of people that flooded the Maryland Farms area. I think it's great, but I also think it's horrendous. It's great that there are so many people who support the cause; it's horrendous that so many people are affected by this too-common cancer.

It takes two hands for me to count the number of special women in my life who have been diagnosed with this terrible disease. Unfortunately, I can't say that all of them have beat it. But today I saw so many survivors, all beautiful in their own ways, but all sharing a common bond, breast cancer. Wouldn't it be great if their common bond was they all loved the same flavor of ice cream? Sure. But the reality is that breast cancer, aside from non-melanoma skin cancer is the most common type of cancer found in women. Another frightening statistic is that every 69 seconds, someone dies from breast cancer. 69 seconds, people. That means by the time you finish reading this, someone will have died. A mother, daughter, aunt, sister, granddaughter, grandmother, friend, and loved one.

I must admit I loved seeing all of the creative marketing avenues different people took. Hunters for Hooters in their camo shirts; the young men in their pink tutus; the save the ta-ta's shirts, the "boob" hats, the "breast" is yet to come shirts were all great, but for me, the best was the shirts that stated "Save 2nd base". I laughed at it, loved seeing the pink hair, pink leggings, pink shirts, the overall beautiful sea of pink. Having said all of that, it still crushes me to see it. I hate cancer.

So, women (and men) make sure you do those self-examinations and are aware of changes in your body. Early detection can often be an integral part of the success of a treatment plan. Mortality rates have increased over the years, but people still die of this disease. Until then, let's do our best to save the ta-ta's.

No comments:

Post a Comment